First of All, Pray
The phrase, “First of All, Pray!”, inspired by 1 Timothy 2:1, is the name of our prayer ministry. It reflects the prominence of prayer within our community. It’s been a mark of our Mission for more than 100 years. The mark remains. First of all, pray—deliberately, intentionally, and in faith, with praise and thanksgiving.
As we serve On Mission Together, please join us in praying for these requests in February 2023:
1. Pray for the Shawi Church. Last month, the Shawi church in Peru hosted its annual training conference for church leaders from the various villages of their tribe. SAMAIR Peru supports this endeavor by flying in some of the participants and trainers, saving some of them several days of travel by land. Over three days two pilots flew 189 passengers making 66 landings! Pray for the ministry of SAMAIR Peru and the vision and growth of the Shawi church.
2. Pray for SAMAIR Bolivia. In order to minister effectively in Bolivia, SAMAIR Bolivia planes are under continual maintenance. Carrying out safe and legal maintenance in Bolivia can often be a challenge due to political unrest in the country. Our Cessna 206 has been going through heavy maintenance for the past year, but praise God we are almost done. Please pray for the successful completion of the overhaul and SAMAIR Bolivia’s ministry.
3. Pray for CCB. Centro de Capacitación Biblica (CCB) is a Bible training institute located in Pucallpa, Peru. It serves 21 different indigenous groups in the Amazon basin with students coming as far as the border with Ecuador and Puerto Maldonado in the south. Its purpose is to train indigenous church leaders in doctrine, Bible, and ministry while allowing the students to be connected to their families, churches, and land. CCB started a new school year in January with a little over 50 students representing 6 different ethnic groups. Pray for director William Hidalgo, staff, and students.
4. Pray for IBC churches in Peru. Pastors and spouses of the IBC (Iglesia Biblica Cristiana) denomination in Peru gathered for a retreat in Lima last month. Unfortunately, due to political unrest, pastors from Arequipa were unable to attend. They enjoyed fellowship and studying Ephesians together. SAM missionaries Rick and Donna Martin who are working with an IBC church in Ayacucho participated and deepened the partnership with their new pastor. Please pray for the churches and pastors of the IBC.
5. Pray for Julián and Serina Arias. Julián and Serina serve in church training and development in Medellín, Colombia. They recently returned to Verdad y Vida church in the town of Sabaneta to teach another round of Ser Biblica conferences, this time on church membership. They have been serving at this church for a year and have been so blessed to hear church leaders’ testimonies of their continued discipleship and growth in Christ and the Scriptures.
6. Pray for the African-American Church. Pray for our brothers and sisters in the African-American church as they send missionaries around the world. Pray for their support raising efforts and gospel outreach.
7. Pray for SAM Academy. In December 2022, SAM Academy in Pucallpa, Peru joined with Iglesia Esmirna in the community of Manantay to share Christmas with the youth of their church. The high school students presented the Life of Christ through a musical drama while the middle schoolers shared His Birth through a fun song and dance. The elementary students sang Jesus es Navidad, a song that shows Jesus is the reason for Christmas. After sharing hot chocolate and panetón, the students presented each child with a special gift purchased especially for them. Thanks to a donation from Renovation Church in Rome, GA, every one of the 50 children also received their own Bible. Please pray for the children of Iglesia Esmirna and the students of SAM Academy.
8. Pray for Retiring Missionaries. David and Rachel Powell and Frank and Luz Zajicek will retire after many years of service with SAM. The Powells served in Colombia and Peru, and the Zajiceks served in Bolivia and Colombia. Praise God for the many years of faithful and fruitful service, and pray for both families as they enter retirement.
9. Pray for Matthias and Rosemary Drochner. Matthias and Rosemary serve in Lima, Peru. Matthias has a passion for theological education and teaches students at a seminary in Lima and an institute in Pucallpa. Rosemary is a nurse at an international school. They both serve with Iglesia de la Ciudad and host the youth group at their home.
10. Pray for Dan and Julie Snyder. Dan and Julie served in Brazil for many years but have recently moved stateside. They will assist with international ministries and staff development in SAM’s Home Office (Fort Mill, SC). Their years of experience will be a great asset to these areas. Please pray for the Snyders during this transition.
11. Pray for the Peru Personnel Team. Cristina Thomas, Stephanie Edgar, Sarah Sheets, Amanda McKinney, and Minori Lucas serve on the Peru Personnel team. Pray for wisdom as they desire to better serve our Peru team. Also, pray for the planning and preparation for the Peru Missionary Team Conference for spiritual renewal in March.