Pray for our missionary kids. They are also missing their “normal” during this ongoing pandemic. Ask God to help the little eyes, little ears, little bodies, and tender souls process as best they can.
The phrase, “First of All, Pray!”, inspired by 1 Timothy 2:1, is the name of our prayer ministry. It reflects the prominence of prayer within our community. It’s been a mark of our Mission for more than 100 years. The mark remains. First of all, pray—deliberately, intentionally, and in faith, with praise and thanksgiving.
Pray for our missionaries starting in their ministry locations. Pray for Ryan and Jenny Dawson and their four children: Ashton, Aria, Beckham, Brendee as they leave in early January to serve with SAMAIR Peru. Pray for Ally Lee as she leaves in mid-February to support church planting in Peru.
Pray for our missionaries returning to their ministry locations. Pray smooth transitions for David and Lisa Speyers and their three girls, Sarah, Emily, and Jessica, as they return to Peru in early January.
Praise for God’s provision in providing more than enough funding to replace the SAMAIR Peru floatplane. Thank Him for the outpouring of generosity from our donors. It was truly more than we could imagine. Pray for next steps as the team begins to purchase, outfit, and import to Peru a replacement floatplane and rebuild the hangar.
The phrase, First of All, Pray!, inspired by 1 Timothy 2:1, is the name of our prayer ministry. It reflects the prominence of prayer within our community. It’s been a mark of our Mission for more than 100 years. The mark remains. First of all, pray—deliberately, intentionally, and in faith, with praise and thanksgiving.
For 2021, our prayer ministry starts back today with a blog post and with prayer requests emailed to our subscribers on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Thank you for praying with us and for us.
No one knows how long COVID-19, or the side effects of our fight against it, will last. Latin America has emerged as the epicenter of the pandemic. Please stand in prayer with missionaries throughout Latin America as they serve those in great need.
- Pray for good health and safety as missionaries and local churches serve — whether by delivering food, evacuating people or serving in medical facilities. Ask God to give them wisdom in every situation.
- Pray for continued funds to buy relief supplies. As local communities run low on funds, global churches, from the U.S. to Germany, are stepping up. Missionaries are also applying for grants to fund COVID-19 ministry efforts.
- Pray for greater understanding of and love for local communities. Good missionaries always strive to understand those they serve, but a crisis bonds people in a unique way. Pray that this time of hardship won’t be wasted, and that relationships will be even stronger by the end.
- Ask God to open hearts to Him. Pray that missionaries and local believers will make clear what motivates them to serve others. Ask that people will see their service as a demonstration of God’s love for them.
- Ask God to show you how you can serve your own neighbors. We all know people in various states of need. Ask God to reveal who He would have you serve right now, and ask Him how to do it.
Hope and Generosity: We have hope today—because of the life of Christ we can know that God is among us, and we can be generous with His good gifts to us. We wait with eager anticipation for the day we dwell for eternity in His presence. It is in this promise and His faithfulness that we anchor ourselves during this present crisis.
Pray for wisdom for SAM’s team in Latin America. As they remain present, pray for eyes to see redemptive possibilities that offer peace and hope to neighbors in despair.
Seeing requires presence, and our ability to be present relies on the generosity of donors who give to see the hope of Christ extended throughout the world. During this era of COVID-19, as you’re able to be generous, we recommend the following to give to for our prolonged presence and effectiveness in Latin America:
Funds donated here will be divided between our missionary team; our intent is to enable their generosity on the front lines and in the specific places God has called them. With the Crisis Response Fund, we are placing more resources at our team’s disposal to share. Gifts to this effort will directly benefit our missionary team and moreover, mobilize them to be agents of mercy and peace.
Gifts to missionary support accounts will be critical to sustaining them in place over the coming months.
INQUIRE HERE: Personal Gifts
These are non tax-deductible gifts that may help meet an immediate need, whether that of our team or of ones they’re ministering to. When possible, donors should reach out to individual SAM missionaries to give directly to them. Otherwise, donors can call our US office at 1-803-802-8580 to inquire about requirements for making personal gifts through South America Mission.
FORT MILL, SC, March 17, 2020—First, we’re responding to the spread of COVID-19 by mobilizing people to pray: pray for the health and well-being of the communities in the countries where we serve; pray for God’s intent for good through this crisis to be seen and known; and pray for protection for those whom you support but, moreover, pray they will have eyes to see and wills to seize the redemptive possibility that comes in the midst of this chaos.
South America Mission is being careful to prevent the spread of the virus and to protect our staff, members and partners.
- We’re monitoring daily the developing situation in countries where SAM members are serving. In Latin America, SAM members are adhering to the controls and safeguards implemented by their local and national authorities. We’re also following recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control.
- We have arranged for US office staff to work from home if necessary. All SAM business is being conducted virtually when possible and all outside in-person meetings are limited. Field conferences scheduled for March-April have been postponed.
- Donations Processing will continue, but check processing may be delayed during social distancing. If you have questions, call our Donor Relations department at 803-802-8580. Also, this is an ideal time to give via EFT through our website, instead of by check.
Contact: Ken Massey, firstname.lastname@example.org
From Feb 8-16, in Fort Mill, SC and in Ridgecrest, NC, candidates from SAM and TEAM seeking to serve internationally in gospel ministry will gather for a week of training. Please pray for the candidates’ ability to hear and see God’s direction as they learn about ministry contexts in Latin America, histories of missions, and the challenges facing international Christian workers today. Above all, pray that these training efforts will produce more laborers equipped to take the gospel of grace to all corners of the world.
At the beginning of November, leaders from SAM and TEAM ministries in Latin America are gathering in the Charlotte, NC area for a week of annual meetings. Pray for the Holy Spirit to reveal strategies and scope of ministry efforts for 2019. Pray for fellowship and the renewal of passion and vision for the work that God has given this team. Also, pray for the annual November meeting of the Board of Directors of South America Mission. The Board meetings will launch on Friday, November 9, with presentations from the ministry areas leaders.