The apostle Paul plainly articulated the need for missionaries when he wrote:
How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” -Romans 10:14-15
Across our ministries in South America, we partner with other missions organizations, local non-profits and institutions, the community of believers in our ministry areas, and above all, the local church. Despite our ever-growing network, we can affirm that the words of Christ are still true today: “the harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.” -Luke 10:1-2
As we continue to step out in faith, allowing ourselves to imagine bigger ways that God can use his people for his glory, we see the immense need for ‘laborers’ to join us in this effort. Our missionary teams pray boldly, and this month we invite you to pray boldly alongside them. Whether it’s staffing a school, managing office spaces, increasing the number of evangelists in a church plant, or tripling the capacity for intentional discipleship in a specific city, we believe that God will bring his people to complete his good work in South America, drawing all of his children closer to him. Pray with us as we ask God to expand our vision and invite his people to join us in ministry.
MISSIONARY CORPS PRAYERS
1. The Santa Cruz Christian Learning Center (Bolivia), SAM Academy (Peru), and Colegio Cristiano La Esperanza (Colombia) are three academic institutes providing quality education with the vision to see their students walking in faith and transforming their communities. Pray for our teachers at these institutes as they minister to their students and are daily examples of Christ in their classrooms. Pray also that God would provide the necessary staff for these programs in the upcoming academic year.
We believe that children and youth are vital to the work of redeeming a community. Children’s outreach and youth ministry directly impact family life and open doors to ministry with parents. Furthermore, we see the future hope of the effects of leadership training with the young people in a community. Pray for our missionaries ministering to children and youth throughout South America. Ask that God would raise up new missionaries to join in this effort and bring his redeeming hope to the next generation.
3. At the heart of our vision to see the communities of South America transformed by the gospel is the call for us to be redeemed disciples of Jesus. The intentional cultivation of prayer and worship is vital to the spiritual lives of our missionaries and the spiritual climate of our ministries. Across our fields, there is a continual need for worship ministry. Pray for our missionaries who currently serve in worship ministry within their local church or at missionary prayer gatherings. Pray also that God would provide talented worship leaders to join us in South America and serve the body of Christ through the talent of music.
4. As South America continues to become more urbanized each year, its international focus grows. Many of the young professionals in Latin American cities are looking to learn English for their careers and educational opportunities. We see the ESL classroom and tutoring relationships as purposeful places where the love of Christ can be shared. Pray for our missionaries currently engaging in ESL ministry, that their witness and character would imitate Christ to their students. Pray also for God to increase the number of missionaries serving in this capacity, who can demonstrate Christ’s love in an ESL environment.
5. As the number of high school students to attend universities throughout South America rises each year, join us in praying for the provision of missionaries to effectively reach these campuses for Christ, specifically in Ayacucho (Peru), Pucallpa (Peru), Santa Cruz (Bolivia), and Santa Marta (Colombia). Pray for our missionaries who currently engage with students and young adults in these regions and ask God for provision of missionaries with a passion for student ministry.
6. As people gather to regularly participate in local soccer games or watch international sports matches, we participate in the opportunity to engage these communities through sports ministry. Pray for our missionaries in Recife, Brazil and Bogotá, Colombia who reach their communities for Christ through sports outreach. Pray also for the provision of new missionaries and local partners to expand the impact and reach of these programs.
7. Iglesia de la Ciudad (City Church) in Lima, Peru is a growing church plant that serves as a model for discipleship and leadership training in the context of the local church. As the initial church plant continues to grow, the team is evaluating the opportunity to plant a second church. Pray for the team of missionaries who serve in this church context, that their fellowship would be rejuvenating and their relationships deepened. Pray also for a full-time executive pastor to join this team and help effectively manage this ministry.
8. The Ammi Training Center is an indigenous pastoral ministry in Brazil which ministers to the indigenous community through discipleship, life skills and theological education. The Ammi Training Center is in need of a full-time cook who can use her culinary background to prepare food for the Center while discipling and ministering to coworkers in the kitchen. Pray that God would provide the right person who would mentor coworkers well and help the training center flourish in its ministry.
9. The Santa Cruz Christian Learning Center (SCCLC) is a private pre-k through 12th grade international school, providing quality education alongside a spiritual development program to its students. Pray that God would provide a Director for the SCCLC to manage all facets of the Learning Center and provide spiritual and educational leadership according to the school’s vision and mission. Pray for the staff of the SCCLC as they continue to lean on one another for accountability and encouragement without a full-time director.
10. The missionary team in Bogotá, Colombia has two families in need of homeschooling help and childcare. Pray for our missionary team as they balance their ministry needs with their calling to care for their families. Ask God to provide missionaries and new team members who can help in raising their children and participate in children’s ministry within the outreach efforts in Bogotá.
11. South America Mission partners with the Seminario Bíblico Church Association in the El Alto region of Bolivia, high up in the Andes mountains near the country’s capital. We support this largely Aymaran church association’s leadership development and church multiplication efforts. Pray that God would provide missionaries to serve in this challenging location, who can enhance the association’s church multiplication strategy, leadership development efforts and discipleship of youth.
You can download this month’s prayer requests as a PDF here: May Prayer Focus